Skip to main content

From Couch Potato to Runner?

How did I become a runner? I was quite satisfied with my life of leisure. The only thing that interrupted my tv watching schedule was The Big One's sports and music events. Thank goodness for DVR! I could easily get down to my desired weight with a crash diet of some sort every Spring. Why did I need to exercise? What kind of crazy person runs, on purpose, regularly?

The answer to how I became a runner involves my sister-in-law. She had very unexpectedly lost her sister, who was also her best friend. The way she finally chose to deal with the overwhelming grief was to start running. She was the last person I would have thought would ever run. But, being on the road, alone, was good for her. One family gathering in December of 2008 we were talking about when and where she ran. She told me how she almost got hit once, when lost in thought, running at night on a busy road. She didn't wear any reflective gear, so the car didn't see her until it was almost too late. So, I decided to get her something to wear at night for Christmas.

While shopping I ran into an old high school track buddy. He assumed I was buying the reflective straps and blinking light for myself. He asked if I was still running. Not that I ran much in track. I sprinted and did hurdles. Anything more than once around the track was long distance to me. To be honest, I was there for the boys. My response was that the only time I ran was to chase my four year old. I was too old to run now. That got me thinking. My SIL was more than ten years older than me. If she could do it, why couldn't I?

So, for my 2009 New Years Resolution was to run a 5k. And I was going to take time to put me first. I bought some sneakers at Marshall's and set my sights on the Race for the Cure 5k in May. I joined a gym, and started out on the elliptical. Then, once it got warmer, I started running outside. At first I could barely run a mile, but I kept trying. Every week I could run a little farther. Then I started enjoying it. I loved my "me" time. Alone with my music. Nobody asking for anything, or whining, or touching me.

By May I easily ran that 5k. And by the end of the year I ran a 10k. My life no longer revolves around the tv schedule. I am a runner. I'm not fast, and I'll never win a race, but I love to run.

Comments

Unknown said…
I love it!! You are a runner!

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...