Skip to main content

Size Matters

A few weeks ago, the boys had their check ups. The Big One has been dying to break 100 for over a year. He is 5' 6.5", and finally weighed 100 lbs at his 14 year check up. He stepped off the scale with a "YES!"
I still remember the day I hit 100 lbs. I was a senior in high school. I was 5'7" and weighed under 100 lbs. And I was proud of that fact. I was hoping to never hit three digits until getting pregnant some day. Then, in the middle of my senior year, I stepped on the scale and it said 100. I cried. And didn't eat for days. Took diet pills. It truly bothered me.
I was never the pretty one, or the smart one, or the funny one, or the cute one. I was the skinny one. It was how I identified myself, and how others identified me. Not being skinny scared me. A lot. It was who I was. I wore a size 0. If I had to buy a size 2 I was disappointed in myself.
By the time I graduated, and left for college, I weighed 105 lbs. When I came home for Christmas, my mother and I went shopping, I had to buy new pants. Size 4. We went to the food court for lunch, and my mother commented on my food choice, saying "What, do you want to have to buy a size 6?"
The scale over the next 3 years crept up, and up. Little did I know, I had grown 2 inches and was now 5' 9". When I went for my first prenatal appointment, at almost 21 years old, and 4 months pregnant, I weighed in at 118 lbs. At the end of the pregnancy I was 60lbs heavier. Luckily, I lost the weight quickly. 122 lbs by the time The Big One was 6 weeks old. A few times my weight would go up, and one of my parents would kindly point in out to me ("It took your mom three kids to get that big...") and I would make sure to get it back down to below 130 again.
When I found out I was pregnant with Bubba, at the age of 28, I was up to 127 lbs. And again gained 60 lbs. This time, it took almost a year, but got down to 125 before his first birthday.
Over the past 6 years I've yoyo'd up and down, getting down to 120 several times. And panicking any time I go above 130.
I admit, I step on the scale several times a week. And on bad days, several times a day. I love seeing the numbers go down. And in the back of my mind, even though I know it is irrational, I would love to see them go all the way down to 100 again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...