Skip to main content

Mommy First

This morning I had planned on going to an open water swim with the tri club.  I was very much looking forward to it.  Two days ago when I found out my oldest had soccer practice at 8, I told him I would have to drop him off at 7:15, because I had to be at the beach, half an hour from the school, by 7:45.  He was okay with that.  Even arranged for someone to come meet him to shoot goals for extra practice. 

Oh, wait, I have two sons.  What about Bubba?  I could bring him to the beach, and he could sit there and play while I swam.   But, I couldn't ask people who don't know him, and he doesn't know, to keep an eye on him while I swam a mile.  The boy is painfully shy.  He would never go for that.   I could ask my parents, but he gets up early, and they don't.  They deserve to sleep in on a Saturday.   they did say it was okay, so I was all set to go.

As of last night when I went to bed, I was going to the OWS, The Big One was going to soccer, and Bubba was going to stay with my parents.  As of 6:15 this morning when my alarm went off, I was still planning on all of this.  But, by 6:30, those plans changed.  I came into the room to grab my bag, and the two beautiful blue eyes laying in my bed were staring at me.  "Mom, please don't go swimming."  I climbed in bed to smooch him goodbye, and he laid on the guilt trip BIG time.  You are always going off and racing.  You never spend time with me.  

I started to rethink my plan.  I was making my oldest get up earlier than needed, and I was going to drive an extra hour, waste a lot of gas, and most likely be late picking him up after practice because I wanted to go do a mile swim to train for a race that I am probably not doing.  And I only get to spend every other weekend with my babies.  Did I really want to leave my little one for 4 hours on one of these precious Saturdays? 

So, today, mommy trumped triathlete.  The Big One only got to practice 30 minutes early (since others were planning on meeting him) Bubba and I went to breakfast at Denny's and bought all of his back to school supplies (which could inspire an entire blog post in itself, 6 large glue sticks per kid...) and I missed the last chance to swim in open water for the year.  I'm okay with that though.  I love those two boys more than triathlon.  They will always come first.  Someday soon, they won't need me anymore, and I will wish that I could have these moments back.  No regrets.  Being a mommy will always be my number one priority. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...