Skip to main content

I'm Tri-ing...

Last night I got to swim with two very awesome ladies.  And while we may not have had a long work out, or a hard work out, it was a great work out.  Just what I needed.  Of course, master swim started while we were doing our slow and steady laps.  Nothing makes you feel more inferior than being the slowest person in the pool!  However, one of the women in the lane next to me gave me some advice about my kick.  Apparently I'm bending my knees to kick, and not kicking from the hip?  How has nobody told me this before?  So, now I have something to work on.  Maybe it will make me so fast that it won't matter that my run is hindered a little?  After swim we sat in the sauna and chatted.  That was nice too.  Have I mentioned before how blessed I am to have met so many wonderful people through the sport of triathlon? 

As we were leaving, sweet, wonderful, wise beyond her years, Erin handed me a gift, and asked me not to open it until I got home.   When I got home I opened the card, which contained a STARBUCKS GIFT CARD from her and another friend, Shawn.  Starbucks is my crack, so I was beyond thrilled!  And then the sentiment written in the card from Erin brought me to tears.  Good tears.    And there was still a gift to open.  Erin got me the book Operation Beautiful.  She wrote a wonderful note inside the front cover that brought me again to tears.  How is it that this young 20 year old woman has it all figured out?  I feel so incredibly lucky to have met her by chance at a spin class last year, and hope to be friends with her for a very LONG time.

Anyway, last night started off not so great after a conversation with the soon to be ex.  But ended with me feeling loved, and supported by the people around me.

Oh yeah, one more thing.  I unquit triathlon.  I'm going to beat this knee thing, and figure out a way around the financial obstacles, and compete in as many tri's as I possibly can in 2011.  Post to come with a race schedule soon...

Comments

Unknown said…
That's the spirit!! I knew you would come back to the dark, um, I mean good side!!
It often is the dark side when you have to train before dawn and after dusk....
Erin said…
Your welcome- I hope you enjoy it! I hope you left early this morning & got yourself a nice cup of coffee!! & lets make a deal- you win the lottery you share it with me. I win the lottery I share it with you!!!
RunToTheFinish said…
so wonderful that you have a true friend who knows you so well and is a trainig partner too!

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...