Skip to main content

No More Off Season

Today I will end my "off season."  It has been over a month since I last attempted to run.  I've been swimming several times, but haven't biked at all.  Now that the craziness of the holidays is over, I will not allow myself to have any more excuses.  I don't have an indoor trainer or a treadmill, but the Y has spin bikes and treadmills.  I'm going to search for an online training program, and start following it.  Today will be a simple, short, easy run.  To make sure the pain is really gone from my knee.  Of course it's only 10 degrees out with a windchill below zero.  That will either make me run really fast, or cut my run really short.  Only time will tell!

I'm also going to get back on the healthy eating band wagon.  I have a confession.  I've lost over 10 pounds in a little over a week.  I went days without eating a meal.  I had small snacks, but there were several 24 hour periods when I didn't have anything more than coffee.  I know that it's not good.  I know that my body needs fuel.  I promise to not let it happen again.  Not eating was my way of coping with my first "single" Christmas in over 15 years.  Not a healthy way.  At least I avoided the dreaded holiday weight gain so many others are dealing with (gotta look for the positive, right?). 

So now my coping mechanism will be my training.   If I need to obsess over something, it will be my mileage, my nutrition, and my goals for the upcoming season.  I have some PRs to set!

Comments

Anonymous said…
They have good ones here free and cheap
http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon-training-plans (I have one on there but it's beginner which may or may not fit!)

We also have a webinar series beginning this week to help FREE!
http://ironmomma.com/2011-webinar-schedule/
Unknown said…
Hey Caroline!! Sorry About the Holidays!!! It stinks I know but you will be stronger in the long run. Trust me, I've been there!! Message me when you want to get together for a run!! Id be happy to run with you! I run Tues, Thurs and Sun for the most part!!

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...