Skip to main content

My Favorite Things

Yesterday was a bad day.  For no particular reason or every possible reason.  But I was in a very, very, dark, not good place, emotionally. 
Thanks to a R.A.O.K. a coworker I came out of it a little.  This time of year is always bad for me.  So, I'm sure this year, it will be even harder to make it through until January 1st.

In order to make myself smile, I'm going to share with you some things that make me happy:
  • Funky Socks.  I love fun, bright, crazy socks.  Even when I'm all dressed up at work, in my serious, business attire, I can wear something not so business like on my feet, and nobody knows.  
  • Freshly Bathed Babies.  I can sit and smell a baby's head for hours.  Kissing their squishy cheeks.  Babies rock!
  • Beverly Hills 90210 reruns.  Did you know, on Saturday and Sunday you can watch  Brandon, Brenda, Dylan and the gang all day long on Soap Net?  I get sucked in quite often.  
  • Sleeping Children.  Even after a day when they have pushed every button possible, if I watch my boys sleep, they take my breath away, and I fall in love with their angelic innocence all over again.
  • Christmas Cards.  Especially the ones with the corny newsletter and pictures.  Those are the best.  
  • Laundry Detergent.  My favorite aisle in the grocery store is the laundry aisle.  I love the way it smells.  And when I'm running and get a whiff of someones dryer sheets floating through the crisp night air, I get a little spring in my step.  
  • Pumpkin.  Pie, coffee, muffins, ravioli, candles.  In any form really. 
  • Fresh Snow.  When the front yard is perfectly smooth with a newly fallen blanket of snow.  It's beautiful to me.  
  • Horses.  I used to ride horses, until I discovered boys.  I keep promising myself that some day, I will ride again.
  • New Shoes.  It used to be dress shoes, but now I am equally excited about sneakers.  
  • Comments.  need I say more ;-)
What pulls you out of a bad mood?  What guarantees that you will cheer up?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...