Skip to main content

A New Excuse

My knee and I got into an argument about whether or not I should do my run last night.  I said yes, and tried like heck to push through the pain.  It said, no way, and 15 minutes into what I had planned to be a 45 minute run,  made it impossible to finish my run, and nearly impossible to walk home.

Now I need to figure out why =[  Unfortunately there are a few variables:
  • I bought new sneakers and just started running in them.  I have been wearing Asics since getting fit at Fleet Feet.  It was about time for me to get new sneaks, so I picked up a pair of Saucony's.  Do Saucony's and I belong together?  Should I switch back to my Asics until I can get to Fleet Feet again?  
  • I have started a running program through the Y, and have been doing it for a little over 2 weeks.   When I went to the speed work out Wednesday night, I was sore, and it was VERY cold.  This was my first speed work out in well over a year.  By the end, I was more than sore.  I was in pain.  Is the cold to blame?
  • Because of the program, my milage has increased a lot the last two weeks.  Most likely more than the 10% rule I just read about today.  Did I do too much?
  • Running is usually in the dark now, and I have had a few run ins with pot holes and divots in the road because of not seeing them.  Maybe I twisted it?
What concerns me most is that it's my "good" knee.  My senior year of high school I had surgery on my left knee.  It bugs me from time to time, but never enough to make me stop during a run.  And I often have discomfort in both knees.  But this is pain.  Severe, can't bend my knee, makes me happy I live in a ranch, pain.  And it's in a different place.  On the side.  Hurt so bad the seam of my pants was not bearable, I had to pull them up so it wasn't touching in order to make it home walking.

So, that 5k I had planned for Sunday the 21st, the one I was going to PR at,  and the 10k on Thanksgiving are now up in the air.  Add to that the fact that it is supposed to be unseasonably warm this weekend, and I am very frustrated.  But I am taking Coach Kelly's advise:  "Take care of that knee!! Don't sacrifice next season for a few runs this month!"  and will not be doing any running for a few days.  Will reassess the situation on Monday.

CRAP!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey! Maybe when you are feeling better we can run together!! I run every Sunday for longer runs, Rain, snow, sleet, whatever!! Just email me and we can meet up! I will be at the Turkey Trot Run! Ice your knee, rest, rest rest and if it hurts that bad, see your doc! ;)
I would love that Kristin! Always looking for a running buddy, especially for longer runs.

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...