Skip to main content

Souvenirs

When ever my mom is sore from a work out, she calls the pain her souvenir.  So when I mention that my legs hurt, or my calves are tight, she always says, you have lots of souvenirs.  Today's souvenirs are blisters on both thumbs from planting a memorial perennial garden over my cat's grave.  Yesterday's souvenir was a sore butt from from riding the bike course for the tri I'm doing in three weeks.  On Mother's Day I had more souvenirs than I could count from the boot camp class I did.  The reason she refers to them as souvenirs is because they are reminders of your work out. 

Some of my souvenirs that I am most proud of how I earned them, yet also most embarrassed by are the ones that remind me of 18 of the best months of my life.  They are the silvery lines that cover my stomach and sides.  The stretch marks I earned by growing my both of my boys inside of me.  Because of these souvenirs I never wear anything that allows my abdomen to show.  I find them gross.  Some of them are almost an inch wide.  It's almost like a road map.  Often times I joke that I should go into a high school health class and show the girls my gut.  It would be the best way to encourage abstinence ever!

When I approached Coach Mary about wearing something that says Train-This on it to show my thanks for their sponsoring me to do the Iron Girl this year, she was very happy to oblige.  She let me know she would be sending a sports bra with the logo on it.  I've spent the last week trying to figure out how to wear it so it can be seen, all while still covering my stomach.  Then, I started to think about it again today.  And I've decided that I will not try to cover them up.  I earned those marks by creating life.  My boys gave me those souvenirs, and I can always be reminded of them, even when they are not with me.  I shouldn't be ashamed by them, I should be proud  of them.  So, on the day of the Iron Girl race, I will be wearing that Train-This top with nothing but a pair tri shorts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...