Skip to main content

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today is my 35th birthday. I've been dreading this day for quite some time. 35 is halfway to 70, 70 is old. So I am now halfway to old. Getting old scares the crap out of me. I watched my grandmother get old and die. I don't ever want to do that. I am actually hoping to get struck down in the prime of my life. I once saw my sweet grandmother poop on the floor as she was walking across the kitchen. My mother had to give her showers, and change her diapers. I never want my sons, or their wives, to have to do that for me. And, I hope to never have to do that for either my mother or my mother-in-law. Getting old sucks. So, I refuse to give in.

Today is my 35th birthday. But I am in better shape today than I was on my 34th birthday. If you had told me 1 yeas ago that I would be training for a half-iron man (70.3 miles of swimming, biking and running!) I would have laughed. I was only training for my first triathlon at that point. And even the though of doing that was terrifying. Now, thanks to Coach Kelly, I think I 70.3 miles might actually be possible.

Today is my 35th birthday. But I am in better shape today than I was on my 30th birthday. If you had told me five years ago that I would be a triathlete, I would not have taken you seriously. I was trying to survive just being a mom to a very difficult baby. The thought of walking around the block would have exhausted me. I had trouble even going to Avery's little league games to watch some days. Exercise was something I thought about doing someday. But, thanks to a challenge from an old high school friend to do Iron Girl last year, I am now hooked!

Today is my 35th birthday. But I am in better shape today than I was on my 25th birthday. If you had told me 10 years ago that I would be a runner I would have though you were crazy. I had been a sprinter in high school. 200 yards was about as far as I ran. And I was not about to run, on purpose, as a "grown up". Why on earth would I do that? But, thanks to inspiration from my amazing sister in law, I now love to run. I actually look forward to it.

So, today is my 35th birthday. A day I have been dreading for years. But, thanks to my training, I'm ok with it. Because I'm not getting older, I'm getting better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...