Skip to main content

We Are Blessed

I can't afford to buy the road bike I so desperately want for racing in my triathlons.

We need a new roof, our refrigerator is on it's last leg, and our oven sporadically stops working.

We haven't ever taken our kids on a vacation.

In the past year we had to unexpectedly buy two new cars, and a new furnace. Major purchases that were not budgeted for in advance.

I cry poverty and scream broke often. Last week, I got a wake up call. My oldest, and dearest friend, (if I were 12 I'd call her my BFF) sent me a text asking if we had any of The Big One's out grown clothes that were size 10 or 12 slim still. She teaches in an inner city school. There are many children in her school who truly have nothing. Some of them see a crayon for the first time when they enter her class the first day of kindergarten. And there was a little boy, a fifth grader at her school, who was wearing his sister's hand me downs to school. He had no clothes of his own. This child was wearing girls jeans, that were too small for him. And my amazing friend (who is truly a saint, but that deserves an entire post) went out and bought him two pairs of shorts so he would have something else to wear. I was pretty sure we had some clothes down in the basement that would fit him. After my unsuccessful yard sale last year I took a lot to Rescue Mission, but there was still bags and bags in the basement.
So I went through some bags until I found shorts and t-shirts in this boys size. we had 9 pairs of shorts, 5 t-shirts, 1 long sleeve t-shirt, and a pair of pajama bottoms. In this box were Nike, Under Armor, Abercrombie, and Puma items. This boy probably hadn't even heard of some of these brands, let alone owned them. As I was packing up the box to ship out (BFF lives over an hour away) the boys were very interested in why I was sending these clothes to her. Her kids are 2 and 11 months. None of these big boy clothes would fit them. So I explained that there was a little boy who didn't have any clothes of his own, and had to wear his sisters. Bubba asked why he didn't get them for his birthday? Or if his parents couldn't buy him clothes, why didn't Santa bring them. My five year old couldn't wrap his head around the idea that this little boy had nothing. How could his parents buy his sister clothes, and not him?
I shipped the box out that day, and two days later BFF's hubby brought them to school (they teach in the same school) and he and the boy went through the box together. To this little boy this box of clothes that has been sitting in the basement was like a treasure chest. It was like Christmas morning for him. And I could probably provide clothes for 10 more kids just like him. We have bags and boxes piled high in the basement.
I realize now that we are blessed. I may have a leak in my roof, and I'm training on a mountain bike, but we have a roof, and I have a bike.

Comments

Unknown said…
So true!! Things like this really put everything into perspective. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...