Skip to main content

Remembories

I remember lots of things.  Weird random facts I learned in 7th grade, the birthday of a girl I haven't been friends with since 8th grade, the phone number of my childhood best friend, or part of a colorguard routine I did hundreds of times back in high school.  I have many wonderful memories, like holding each of my children for the first time, the way it felt the first time I crossed a finish line at a race, my first kiss, the rush I used to get when performing in front of a crowd.  The funny things kids have said over the years, like one of them saying remembories, instead of memories. I also have many memories I wish I could forget.  The phone call on Thanksgiving morning telling me of a good friends death the night before, saying goodbye to the baby I never met, saying goodbye to my little brother as he went off to fight a war, comforting my heartbroken son when he got cut from the basketball team, seeing my baby pale, and unresponsive in the back of an ambulance.

All of these memories of my past have been an important part of helping me become the person I am today, for better or worse.  But there is one memory that I have that I share with the rest of the world.  A memory that has shaped the lives of an entire country.  Just as you can ask anyone who was alive in November of 1963 where they were when they heard of JFK's assassination, and they can tell you without hesitation, if you ask anyone what they were doing on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 they can respond with vivid detail as if it happened yesterday.

In September of 2001 The Big One had started kindergarten, and I had returned to school myself.  I didn't have classes on Tuesdays, so I dropped him off at school and came home to spend my day watching 90210 reruns.  I was doing just that when my phone rang.  My mother in law, who was at work, was in a panic.  Was I watching the news?  Did I know what was going on?  Did I hear about the plane crash in NYC?   The rest of my day was then spent glued to the TV, watching the events unfold.  Not believing what I was seeing was real.  Horrified as the events of the day were happening in front of my eyes.  Realizing that the world as I knew it was no more.  Worried about what the future would hold for my young son.  Wanting to go pick him up from school, hold him in my arms, and never let go.

In the days and weeks that followed, I spent a lot of time watching the news.  Obsessing over every detail.  Not wanting to know more, but needing to find out.  I didn't sleep, had panic attacks, and stressed over the uncertainty of my future, of what our country would become.  I no longer felt safe, and worried non-stop about when the other shoe would drop.  What else were "they" going to do to "us"?

It's been ten years since our country was rocked to it's core by tragedy.  It's been a decade since I first turned to watch Matt Lauer on the Today show to find out what it was that had gotten my mother in law so upset.  I've been through many ups and downs since 9-11-01.  Made many new memories, both bad and good in all of that time.  But, none of them will ever replace the remembories of that fateful day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces and stop blaming myself, stop analyzing what I cou

Finishing is Winning?

This past weekend I "ran" my first marathon.  I put ran in quotes because with my official finish time, I don't feel as if I was running very much.  5:31:45.  An hour over my goal time of 4.5 hours.  To say I am disappointed in myself is an understatement.  I am almost ashamed of my results.  I know to some that may sound like I'm looking for sympathy, or to others it may sound absurd.  But, it's the truth.  I set out to do something, and I feel as if I did not accomplish it.  As if I've failed.   So, below is my race report on the 2011 Philadelphia Marathon, in an effort to put it behind me and move on. Both of my boys wanted to go to the marathon.  And I wanted both of them there.  So, my wonderful friend Erin agreed to come along for the ride and keep an eye on them during the race.  Saturday morning we packed up Ruby the Rav4 and headed out for the trip.  We made it down there with very little difficulty, considering my limited city driving experience. 

Discrimination Against Skinny People

I have been thin basically my entire life, with the exception of my pregnancies and the year after having Bubba.  It's mostly genetics.  I honestly don't think I will/could ever be "fat".  Something that has always bugged me about being a "skinny" person are the comments.  Others feel it's fine to comment on my size. Why is it okay for someone to say to me: You're too skinny. Yet, I could never say back to them: You're too fat. Why is it okay for someone to say to me: You're so skinny, I can count your ribs. Yet, I could never say back to them: You're so fat, I can count your rolls. Why is it okay for someone to say to me: You're a twig.  Yet, I could never say back to them: You're a whale. Why is it okay for someone to say to me: You're deathly thin.  Yet, I could never say back to them: You're morbidly obese. Why is it okay for someone to say to me: You should really eat more.  Yet, I could never say back