Skip to main content

Hungry!

As part of my quest for iron, I was advised to first run a marathon.  Something I've thought about doing since I became a runner almost three years ago, but never seriously considered a possibility.  But, if I want to complete a full Ironman, I obviously need to be able to run 26.2, so I decided that I needed to complete my first marathon by the end of this year.  My friend Erin then chose the Philadelphia Marathon for us to do as our first, together.  When I told Kristin that I wanted to run Philly, she informed me that it was her favorite one.  What kind of sick group of  people am I now hanging out with that they have a favorite marathon?!?  But her endorsement of the event confirmed that this was the one for me to do.  Erin since changed her mind because of her college budget and schedule not making it a possibility for this year, but KW and I agree that I should still do it. 

Well, having this goal now with set date not only makes it a reality, but means I need to increase my mileage!  No more just running 3 miles.  So, we came up with a new training plan, and I slowly started to run more.  As a result of the increased mileage, I've also had an increase in my appetite.  I often find myself starving.  And not at very convenient times.  My stomach has chosen to wake me up several nights at 2am wanting to be fed.  Or during my long run last Sunday, my breakfast wore off at the half way point, and I had to finish the second half hoping the water I was carrying could sustain me until I made it home.  Time to finally purchase a fuel belt I guess!  Also need to buy some good for me midnight snacks to keep on my night stand. 

I've also become hungry in another way.  One of my goals for every race has always been to simply finish.  I want to get a little faster with each race, but placing has never been something I set my sights on.  I'm not fast.  And I've always been okay with that.  Well, being good friends with a pro triathlete has had a little bit of an effect on my attitude.  I now want to get faster.  And watching Kristin win at Skinnyman last week made me want to do more than just finish.  I don't think I could ever be as fast as KW, win a race,  or even be in the top three.  BUT I'm pretty sure if I take my training seriously, if I actually TRY to TRI there is a chance I could at the very least place in my age group someday.  My friend who helped me train for my very first Iron Girl in 2009 told me there was no reason I couldn't be top three in my age group, but I didn't take him seriously.  Last week I asked him if he really believed I had it in me to be fast, and he said yes. 

So, now I'm hungry to be fast.  I'm hungry to be as good as people tell me I can be. I actually have the faith in myself to set my goal a little higher than just crossing the finish line.  Yes, finishing any race is an accomplishment in itself, especially considering what I've been through in the last 12 months.  But, that is no longer enough for me.  My appetite has increased during this quest for iron.  Not only my hunger for food, but my hunger for winning has as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces and stop blaming myself, stop analyzing what I cou

Finishing is Winning?

This past weekend I "ran" my first marathon.  I put ran in quotes because with my official finish time, I don't feel as if I was running very much.  5:31:45.  An hour over my goal time of 4.5 hours.  To say I am disappointed in myself is an understatement.  I am almost ashamed of my results.  I know to some that may sound like I'm looking for sympathy, or to others it may sound absurd.  But, it's the truth.  I set out to do something, and I feel as if I did not accomplish it.  As if I've failed.   So, below is my race report on the 2011 Philadelphia Marathon, in an effort to put it behind me and move on. Both of my boys wanted to go to the marathon.  And I wanted both of them there.  So, my wonderful friend Erin agreed to come along for the ride and keep an eye on them during the race.  Saturday morning we packed up Ruby the Rav4 and headed out for the trip.  We made it down there with very little difficulty, considering my limited city driving experience. 

Discrimination Against Skinny People

I have been thin basically my entire life, with the exception of my pregnancies and the year after having Bubba.  It's mostly genetics.  I honestly don't think I will/could ever be "fat".  Something that has always bugged me about being a "skinny" person are the comments.  Others feel it's fine to comment on my size. Why is it okay for someone to say to me: You're too skinny. Yet, I could never say back to them: You're too fat. Why is it okay for someone to say to me: You're so skinny, I can count your ribs. Yet, I could never say back to them: You're so fat, I can count your rolls. Why is it okay for someone to say to me: You're a twig.  Yet, I could never say back to them: You're a whale. Why is it okay for someone to say to me: You're deathly thin.  Yet, I could never say back to them: You're morbidly obese. Why is it okay for someone to say to me: You should really eat more.  Yet, I could never say back