Skip to main content

The Gift of Triathlon

My last post was asking for advice on which of two triathlons to register for first, knowing that both will sell out.  I got advice from lots of people, via twitter, comments, and emails.  Of course, the advice was about 50/50 as to which one to take a gamble on.  One comment, however, was the decision making comment.  Not at the moment I read it, but not long after.
ironmomma.com said...
PS; Can you send me your email? maryeggers@gmail.com...... I have something for you :-)
So, curious, I sent Mary my email address.  We exchanged a few pleasant emails, and she let me know something was on it's way.  Just the fact that Mary reads my blog is overwhelming.  I admire Mary greatly, not just as a triathlete but as a person, and a mother.  I read Mary's blog every day.  The first time she commented on my blog I was "star struck".  We've never met.  She is Coach Kelly's coach.  That's how I found her in the first place, by clicking on a link in one of Trimommy's posts several months back. 

Just a few short hours later, I received an email from Mary with the subject line of Merry Christmas!!!!
And in the email was an attachment.  When I opened the attachment, tears came to my eyes, and I was rendered speechless (an unusual event!).  I had been given the gift of my entry fee to Irongirl Syracuse by the Train-This Multisport Coaches!  


I am completely honored that they chose to give me this gift.  And now, I feel the need to step it up, get a PR, and kick some Irongirl butt on August 7th.  I can now do Green Lakes and Irongirl.  I don't have to worry about one selling out before I can pay for it.  This is truly one of the nicest gifts that I have ever been given.  This is why I love the multisport community.  Where else would strangers help a girl who is a little down on her luck register for a race?   They didn't just give me an entry fee.  They gave me hope.  Hope that I can contiunue to do something I love, something that makes me happy, and in turn, makes me a better mother to my boys.


Thank You Mary and the rest of the Train-This team.  I promise to make you proud at the Syracuse Iron Girl!

Comments

Unknown said…
You have already made me proud by being tough during this hard time, for loving your children with a vengeance, and for keeping up your determination! YOu will have an awesome season!!
Unknown said…
I can't wait to cheer you on this year!!
Anonymous said…
Sister we love to play Santa! And remember this: we think you are incredible just the way you are. Clearly you live an authenic, integrity focused life, please don't change a thing. It is us who look up to you in awe!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unknown said…
You are so welcome!!! :) Merry Christmas and Ill see you out there!!! I love my Team!!! and it helps that I LOVE MY COACH MARY TOO!!! :)
I printed out the attachment. And I get a little teary eyed every time I look at it. I don't think I can say thank you enough!

Popular posts from this blog

Today Sucks

Today is our 13th wedding anniversary.  Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of me finding out about the other woman, and two days after that is when we agreed to end the marriage.  This weekend I'm moving out of my house.  Basically the week sucks.  Then throw in the anniversary of my miscarriage fourth of July weekend, and I may as well put myself back in the psych ward for the next 3 weeks.  Yesterday I spent the day mourning what had been my life.  The boys went with their dad for father's day, and I lay in bed sobbing and crying and wishing it would all go away.  I remembered all of the awesome fun times we had as a family.  I thought about our wedding day, the days the boys were born.  The fun times we had together.  Tonight they will be with him too.  I'm going to go for a long ride and run, and then come home and probably cry just a little more.  Then, tomorrow, I will move on.  I will pick up the pieces...

Livestrong at the YMCA Green Lakes Triathlon Race Report

Yesterday was my first tri of the season.  It was also my first tri since he moved out.  My first tri since my hospital stay, and my first tri with out my original training buddy Missy who originally motivated me to tri in the first place. It was also my first tri on meds, and my first tri with my period (i know tmi, but it was an unneeded stressor)  Not to mention my first tri season with out a coach.  Needless to say, I wasn't feeling ready for it.  About a week before I told a few friends that I quit.  That I wasn't doing it.  That I knew I couldn't.  I had so much self doubt, and the voice of one former "friend" telling me I didn't have what it would take kept ringing in my ear.  A couple of my friends said, ok, if that's what you want, we will support you.  But Kristin wasn't having it.  Her text to me went something like this:  it's a sold out race, you took a spot that someone else could have had, you owe it to them t...

Nutrition Failure

I have three main obstacles preventing me from being the best possible triathlete I could be.  Two of them I have no control over, time and money.  I can't make more hours in the day than there are, and my money situation isn't going to change any time soon.  The third obstacle is my nutrition.  This is the one area that I can fix, and I'm having a very hard time with it.  I want to eat right, and want to fuel my body properly, but need lots of help in this area. Now that the holiday's are past, and we are back into more of a normal routine, I'm trying to force myself into healthy eating habits, and trying to drag the two non-willing members of my family with me.  The trouble is, I'm not really good at the planning healthy meals.  Dinner's I'm pretty good at.  I have been getting better and better at planning a weeks worth of healthy meals, and the boys usually eat them.  But breakfast and lunch I'm not so good at.  Especially since I ...